For information or to register for any group, call 631-226-3900. Groups are offered free of charge.
- Healing Connections Peer Support Group
- Relatives and Friends Group
- Joseph P. Dwyer Veterans PTSD Peer Support Project **Please be advised all in-person Dwyer Project Support Groups are suspended due to the Coronavirus. We will be launching online groups soon. We’ll update this page with that information as soon as possible.**
We provide group support to individuals diagnosed with a mental illness. Groups are facilitated by trained professionals or by persons who have an intimate knowledge of the subject matter and knowledge of group facilitation techniques. Groups meet weekly or biweekly for two-hours. Groups focus on mutual support and includes topics such as sharing of similar experiences, problems in accessing services, medication, stigma, benefits and entitlements, and advocacy issues.
Healing Connections Peer Support Group
To leave a message: 631-471-7242 ext. 1390
Healing Connections Peer Support Groups were created for and by people who experience emotional distress, extreme and/or altered states of consciousness, substance use, labels of psychiatric diagnosis, and/or who are trauma survivors. We come together to share information, hope, joys, fears, successes, and hardships in the “most” safe space we co-create to mutually support, heal, and grow together. We all are collectively responsible for the comfort of our group!
Healing Connections’ facilitators are trained Peer Specialists who have their own experience with emotional distress. The facilitators are there to guide the support group and offer peer support.
Online meetings are offered on Saturdays and Sundays from 6:30pm-7:30pm. Click here for more information.
In-person meetings are offered on Thursdays from 7:00pm-8:30pm at MHAW’s Pollack Center, 939 Johnson Avenue, Ronkonkoma.
For additional peer support, please contact our Peer Support Line on Saturdays from 5:00pm-10:00pm or Sundays from 2:00pm-7:00pm at 631-471-7242 ext. 1217.
Relatives and Friends Group
With an intimate knowledge of the challenges you face, we offer supportive group counseling services for the friends and relatives of persons with mental illness. The groups typically meet weekly for two hours. The group focuses on offering mutual support, sharing similar experiences, problems in accessing services, stigma issues, benefits and entitlements, and advocacy.
Ronkonkoma: Thursdays 7:00pm at MHAW Pollack Center, 939 Johnson Ave, Ronkonkoma.
Riverhead: Tuesdays 7:00pm at MHAW Synergy Center, 1380 Roanoke Avenue, Riverhead.
Joseph P. Dwyer Veterans Peer Support Project
The Joseph P. Dwyer Veterans Peer Support Project provides Veteran-led peer support groups at sites across Suffolk County. For a complete description of the program, click here. For group information, please contact Program Director John Schultz at (631) 853-8345 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Amityville: 6:00pm at Liberty Village, 600 Albany Avenue.
- Bay Shore: 5:00pm at Beacon House, 1715 Union Boulevard.
- Yaphank: 2:30pm at The Vets Place, 32 Mill Road.
- Patchogue: 5:30pm at Long Island Community Hospital, 101 Hospital Road (In the Knapp Cardiac Center Conference Room, next to the ER)
- Sag Harbor: 6:00pm at 1357 Brick Kiln Road.
- Lake Ronkonkoma: 4:00pm at Liberty Landing, 58 Portion Road.
- Hauppauge: 12:00pm at Thrive Recovery Center, 1324 Motor Parkway Suite 102.
- Mt. Sinai: 2nd Thursday of the month 10:00am at Rose Caracappa Senior Center, 739 Route 25A (This is a senior group)