Salary: $45,000 per year-non-exempt
Hours: Full Time 37.50 hours per week
Location: Riverhead Office Location- Travel throughout Suffolk County
Mission Statement: “To empower and inspire people of all communities to identify, pursue and sustain healthy, meaningful lives”.
MHAW strives to develop an authentic, diverse workforce that embraces, creates, respects and demonstrates diversity, equity, and inclusiveness in the work environment, towards one another and those we serve. We recognize that our agency is strongest when we all embrace the full spectrum of diversity and experience. We actively seek to employ a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve.
As a Veteran Housing Case Manager, you will be providing ongoing case management services for the residents of the agency’s Veteran’s Housing Program. The Case Manager will work under the direction of the Housing Program Manager. This includes addressing medical, mental health, alcohol/ substance use and other needs related to benefits and maintaining of rent. Support and guidance to address skills related to independent living. Providing access to veteran’s services. This includes 24/7 phone coverage.
Key responsibilities will include:
- To skillfully conduct intake, assessment and service goal planning within required time frames, using an empowerment approach.
- To consistently provide service coordination and crisis intervention, as needed and directed on a 24/7 basis.
- To assist clients to access and utilize services in the community including medical and mental health care, substance use treatment, housing programs, educational and vocational programs and supportive resources as appropriate to the residents expressed needs.
- To work with residents to obtain benefits and resources from the Veteran’s Administration, Dept. of Social Services and the Social Security Administration.
- To complete proper and compliant documentation of services.
- To submit documentation/ reporting regarding resident status regarding rent and status of residents and assigned residences. Ensuring monthly rent is paid and provide assistance to residents to maintain rent and address rent arrears; following up with MHAW Accounting Dept. as needed.
- To understand and respect the privacy of the residents and to maintain the confidentiality of their HIPPA protected information.
- To ensure policies of MHAW Veteran’s Housing are being carried out in accordance with the agency and OTDA guidelines.
- To support the residents to live at the most independent level possible.
- To help to review, report and ensure maintenance of the residences.
- To participate in meetings including bi-weekly Disposition (Veteran staff review of client needs), bi-weekly Housing Team Huddle, Weekly Supervision and others as directed.
- To make use of and account for the use of petty cash funds in an effective, thorough and timely manner.
The successful candidate should have experience in Health Home Care Management and possess or be quickly able to acquire the following skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of Veteran / Veteran family culture.
- Familiarity with the Dept. of Social Services, the Social Security Administration and the Veteran’s Administration.
- Knowledge of local medical and mental health systems.
- Knowledge/ ability to learn about housing assistance programs (SSVF, HUD, VASH, SPA, etc) and the ability to assist residents in the application process.
- Familiarity/ ability to learn educational and vocational programs available to the Veteran population.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and engagement skills.
- Sound organization and teamwork skills.
- Strong computer skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Human Services or related field required
- Experience providing case management services preferred.
- Experience with or ability to learn local and state benefits/ entitlements systems.
- Experience with Veteran’s Services preferred.
- Crisis intervention experience.
Send a resume and cover letter expressing your interest in this position to:
Human Resources Director